There is an increase in people who have been victims of identity theft and unauthorized use of credit cards because of many companies that handle data irresponsibly. According to many studies done by a personal data protection company in countries such as Mexico, Brazil, United States, Colombia, Argentina, India, the personal data protection & privacy is a primary concern of the people, thus failure to comply with the regulatory framework can be an obstacle and can cause loss of business opportunities.
The personal data represents all the information of a person which affirms his/her identification. Personal data includes place of birth, place of residence, academic, employment, professional career, marital status, age, health, sex life, physical characteristics, political ideology, and other aspects. The personal data can help a person to interact with business and/or organizations for their services. This exchange of information causes economic growth and improvement of services.
To resolve this problem privacy & personal data protection law was adopted in countries such as Mexico, Argentina, India and others some years ago with the purpose of protecting citizens from personal data misuses and abuses that happen every day by companies and/or organizations. The personal data protection law recognizes and protects the rights that people have to access, update and correct their personal data that has been collected as well as the right to oppose personal data processing by public or private entities. The personal data that’s involved in national security, national defense, intelligence and population censuses – housing information are not considered part of personal data protection law.
According to a personal data protection company, now all entities that handle personal data will be forced to consider the right to privacy and will need to adapt to regulations which will ensure safe treatment of personal data. The privacy & personal data protection act also gives people the right to request for all their personal data that a company has. Thus generating the need to implement personal data protection solutions, policies for cancellation and removal of personal data. Companies and/or organizations that do not comply with this law will face sanctions & fines.
There are many advantages of implementing personal data protection solutions. For instance the European privacy & personal data protection law approves the transfer of personal data of European citizens to a third country that has an adequate level of data protection system established for such information, depending upon the nature of the data, the purpose, duration of processing and safety standards. If a country adapts to the international privacy & personal data protection regulations, there are possibilities of exponential increase in foreign investments in that country.
Implementing privacy & personal data protection law
Companies and/or organizations must comply with the statutory obligation of implementing personal data protection system. According to various enterprise data protection services consultants, compliance with legal obligations in the field of data protection is essential. Data protection agencies have big teams of inspectors to make an audit of personal data protection system and apply fines along with sanctions, through a complaint of any affected person. Points to consider while implementing privacy & personal data protection law:
• All the personal data processing systems belonging to companies and/or organizations must be registered with the data protection agency. The registration must submit information such as name and title of the person responsible, purpose of the system, the type of the personal data processed, process of acquiring, process of updating data, methods of interrelating data, duration of holding data and personal data security solutions implemented.
• When the companies and/or organizations get personal data, all the interested parties must be advised prior about the existence of a personal data protection system, data treatment process, the purpose of collecting data, the recipients of data, the rights of access, rectification, cancellation and opposition to data processing.
• Companies and/or organizations will designate a person responsible for personal data processing systems.
• Comply with the personal data protection policies and regulations as well as standards for enterprise personal data protection services.
• Process personal data only when they relate to the purpose for which they were collected.
• Implement appropriate enterprise data protection solutions to manage all the requests for access, rectification, cancellation of personal data; also enterprises must provide data protection training course to all public servants.
• Implement security measures for via enterprise data protection services and inform about the changes to the data protection agency.
• Modify personal data when appropriate, correcting the incorrect data and completing the partial data. All these changes must be logged in a security document.
• The client has the right to request the correction or deletion of his personal data.
• Coordinate and review the implementation of data protection solutions by enterprise data protection company and make sure it’s done as per the data protection norms.
• Implement specific set of policies for the management and maintenance of the personal data processing system.
• Develop a personal data protection training course plan. All the professionals of data protection department must take data protection training.
• Conduct or regularize the execution of the operations of data processing systems implemented by any personal data protection company.
• Inform the client when obtaining their personal data about personal data processing systems and data protection solutions implemented by personal data protection companies.
Security Measures for Data Protection
As per experts from personal data protection company, businesses and/or organizations should establish technical and organizational security measures to ensure the confidentiality and integrity of personal data with the objective of preserving the data protection rights, against modification, loss, transmission and unauthorized access. All the data security measures should be implemented with respect to the highest degree of protection of personal data. The security measures should be according to following types of security:
Physical Security: This includes the protection of facilities, equipment to prevent accidental incidents cases or force majeure.
Logical Security: This includes measures for identification and authentication of people or users authorized to access and modify personal data.
Applications: It represent the permissions which personal data processing system should manage, to ensure proper use of data, preventing the participation of non-authorized users, separation of environments and penetration testing controls.
Encryption: This includes implementation and use of encryption algorithms, keys, passwords, and specific protection measures to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of the sensitive personal data.
Network Communications: This refers use of enterprise data protection services that includes use of network monitoring system that constantly monitors network communications and blocks any kind of suspicious activity or security breach.
According to experts from enterprise data protection company, following are the security checks which are mandatory for all personal data processing system to ensure compliance with the privacy & personal data protection law:
• Implementation of the security policies.
• Maintaining documentation of roles and responsibilities of personnel responsible for the processing of personal data.
• Access and incidents logging.
• Identification and authentication system.
• Support management, physical and logical access.
• System backup and recovery.
• Manage audit policies.
• Vulnerability and penetration testing.
• Support Distribution.
• Telecommunications Records.
The data security measures mentioned above constitute minimum requirements, so the companies and/or organizations should take additional inevitable measures to provide greater protection of personal data. Companies and/or organizations should take help of personal data protection company or personal data protection service consultants to implement personal data protection services & solutions.
To make sure that your company is covered with regards to privacy & data protection law, organizations like International Institute for cyber security offers tools through enterprise data protection services and personal data protection training course, which will allow you to implement data protection law and keep your business updated at all times according to requirements of the legislation. The enterprise data protection services and personal data protection solutions help customers with:
• During the implementation of privacy & data protection law they do detailed analysis of the company’s processes for management and processing of personal data. They get detailed information about the company, the personal data files, established procedures, flow of information and the degree of compliance with the regulation.
• They coordinate analysis of personal data processing systems along with development of procedures and documentation required according to the standards, as a part of our enterprise data protection services.
• In the personal data protection training they teach the development of data protection policies and best information security practices for general and technical users.
• During our personal data protection audit services they delivery data protection policies document, evaluation of the security measures implemented and data protection law certification. In addition they teach how to do all this during our personal data protection training, so that you can be an enterprise data protection services expert.
The personal data protection course is aimed at managers, legal and IT department professionals and all the people who wish to understand the privacy & data protection law. The personal data protection training is very practical course and covers the following topics:
• Introduction to data protection & privacy law.
• Implementation of environment for data protection & privacy law.
• Types of personal data and rights of access, rectification, cancellation and opposition.
• Data protection agencies and regulations.
• Detailed dataflow analysis.
• Enterprise architecture and audit procedures.
• Implementation of data protection solutions and enterprise data protection services with a methodology defined by our experience and recommended by international standards.
• Incident management procedures for handling personal data breach, sanctions and privacy complaints.
Information security specialist, currently working as risk infrastructure specialist & investigator.
15 years of experience in risk and control process, security audit support, business continuity design and support, workgroup management and information security standards.